Friday, October 9, 2009

Digging myself out...

I have gotten us into this mess and I intend to find a way to get us out of this mess. My husband laughed when I told him that I had entered a whole bunch of sweepstakes. Hey, you never know right! (and no I am not kidding!)

Well if that doesn't pan out, the things I am doing differently for now are these:

1. Using coupons

2. Only buying on sale (unless it is really necessary!)

3. Only buying what is needed! (you would be surprised how many things actually fall into the want category when you are really strapped!)

4. Making meals from scratch (I used to spend a lot of money on ready made meals!)

5. Using what is in the freezer and the fridge before I go out for more (I am guilty of the purchase and purge curse. That is when you buy produce and let it rot in your bin in the fridge only to throw it out!)

6. I am writing down every penny I spend and subtracting it out of my allotted budget. I have a small notebook for this and so far so good! It is amazing to see how quickly $3.25 here and $2.30 there adds up!

That is my game plan for now. I will let you know how it goes and what I add or change in the things that I do. I have to say that the dark cloud that has been hanging over me has lightened ever so slightly. I am beginning to feel like I can and will succeed. I am smart and capable and I will not let this problem conquer me. Now that I have started to plug up the leak a little bit, I need to find a way to add to the coffer. My next hunt will be for a way to bring in some much needed cash that can go towards this horrible debt!

Off I go to finish grilling the steaks that I found hidden in the freezer from who knows how long ago! I would never have gotten to them if I hadn't decided that it was time to "Use it up, wear it out, make do, or do without"!

Good night!

p.s. I was much nicer to my kids today!!! I even made play dough for my daughter and we had a great time together!




No comments:

Post a Comment